5 DIY (Do It Yourself) Ways to Create Defensible Space to Attain a Hardened Home:
1. Regularly clean your roof, gutters, decks, and the base of walls regularly to avoid the
accumulation of fallen leaves, needles and other flammable materials
2. Ensure all combustible/ignitable materials are removed from underneath, on top of, or
within five feet of a deck.
3. Remove vegetation or other combustible/ignitable materials that are within five feet of
windows and glass doors.
4. Replace wood mulch products within five feet of all structures with noncombustible
products such as dirt, stone, or gravel.
5. Remove all dead or dying grass, plants, shrubs, trees, branches, leaves, weeds, and pine
needles within 30 feet of all structures or to the property line.
VIEW FULL DOCUMENT