Save Water & Save Money!
Significant amounts of water can be wasted by leaks, inefficient water fixtures and appliances, and inappropriate landscaping and irrigation.
Most Yreka water customers use twice as much water during the summer, due to landscape irrigation. In order to help water customers and residents reduce landscape irrigation water use, the City has developed two informative publications, Reducing Water Bills Through Water Efficient Landscaping (PDF) and Water Efficient Plant Guide (PDF).
Reducing Water Bills Through Water Efficient Landscaping presents landscaping and irrigation ideas for saving water. The Yreka Water Efficient Plant Guide is an extensive list of trees, shrubs, groundcovers, vines, annuals and perennials which are rated for their water use, and are suitable for Yreka gardens and landscaping. Please feel free to check them out!
Top Water Saving Tips
- Fix leaks!
- Use high efficiency fixtures (toilets, faucets, shower heads) and appliances (dish and clothing washers).
- Only use washers when full.
- Turn off water when brushing teeth or shaving.
- Take shorter showers.
- Fix leaks and prevent run-off!
- Use a timer for watering and water only when dry.
- Reduce unused turf and follow the Lawn Watering Guide (PDF) for remaining turf areas.
- Use drip lines or porous soaker hoses on non-lawn areas.
- Mulch to maintain moisture.
- Replace pop-up sprays and impact heads with rotators or stream rotors
Remember to use Fire Safe Landscaping (PDF) techniques.
Home Water Survey
To save water and money schedule a free home survey by calling 530-841-2370.