Yard Waste Burning

Burn Pile Diagram

Prohibited Burning

The burning of household garbage, including paper products, is prohibited by State law. As of 2004 burn barrels are also banned.

Burn Permits

Burn permits are required for all outdoor residential burning. A no-cost permit to burn within the City Limits of the City of Yreka may be obtained at City Hall. Burn permits do not expire, however, they are usually suspended between May and November due to critical fire conditions. With a valid burn permit, yard waste may be burned in small heaps and piles not to exceed dimensions of 3 feet by 3 feet by 3 feet.

Safe Burning Practices

  • Do not burn unless it is a permissible burn day which is determined by the Siskiyou County Air Pollution Control.
  • Call the Siskiyou County Burn Day Information Line at 530-842-8123 to check before burning.
  • Read and follow all precautions on your burn permit.
  • Burning shall be confined from daylight to dark.
  • Never burn on windy days or during long dry periods.
  • When practical, consider composting material rather than burning. Leaves are ideal for composting.
  • Be neighborly. If your smoke becomes a problem, put your fire out and burn when conditions are more smoke-management friendly.
  • Never leave the fire unattended. At least one able-bodied adult must be present at all times.
  • Keep a shovel and rake present.
  • Have a reliable water source or extinguisher accessible at all times.
  • Wear protective clothing.

For information on wildfire safety, see the CAL FIRE Ready for Wildfire page.