Change Font Size: A A


Where do I license my dog?

At City Hall, located at 701 Fourth St., Yreka, CA, 96097. 
Phone (530) 841-2386

If my dog is missing, what should I do first?

Call the Yreka Police Department dispatch and ask the dispatcher to see if your dog has been picked up. If your dog has been picked up, coordinate with the dispatcher to pick up your dog by calling (530) 841-2300.

Are cats required to have a City animal license?

No, only dogs require a City animal license.

What do dog license fees pay for?

Dog Licensing Fees, as well as impound-related fees, go exclusively to pay for Animal Control Services.

Why were dog licensing fees recently increased?

Previously, the most recent dog license fee increase was in 1983. Since then, costs have increased substantially. Before the most recent increase, license fees and impound related fees covered less than 20% of Animal Control's expenses. The remaining 80% or so came out of the City’s general budget. The City, while recognizing the benefits of having Animal Control services, wanted the general public to bear less of the burden. The dog license fee rate increase was designed to pay for about 50% of those costs.

Why are only dogs licensed?

Animal Control receives over 600 calls a year, and 80% of those calls are dog related. Due to dogs taking up the majority of Animal Control's time, the City wanted dog owners to pay a fair proportion of Animal Control's costs.

How do I license my dog if I live outside of the City limits?

If you live outside of the City limits, you need to have your dog licensed with the County.  For more information, call (530) 841-4028.

Contact us for more information.