The Yreka Volunteer Fire Department began as the Siskiyou Hook and Ladder Company Number 1 in 1856. At that time, all of the engines and equipment were privately owned by the 30 volunteer members of the company. In 1924, the Siskiyou Hook and Ladder Company were officially reorganized as the Yreka Volunteer Fire Department.
Today, the Department is authorized to have 50 volunteers; however, the active roster consists of about 30 members. The operations and volunteers of the Department are managed by an Executive Board of seven members.
Yreka Fire Department is an all-volunteer department including the Chief Officer. The department responds to upwards of 1,500 calls per year, wherein the nature of the calls ranges from the following: